I got a severe case of poison oak one year when I was trimming bushes. Later I was told what to do if I was going to be around the poison. Immediately after I trimmed the bushes I threw my clothes in the washer, got in the shower and used a bottle of alcohol, rubbing it all over my body (even my face – avoiding my eyes). (the smell takes your breath away, but it’s worth it) Then turn on the shower and wash all over with plenty of soap. After wash exposed clothes and towel/washcloth. The alcohol takes the oil off your skin; whereas soap and water only just spreads the poison. I even cut out a 17 ft. peice of poison in my bushes and never got any blisters, even though I had the poison all around me. This has worked countless times for me.